Thursday, August 07, 2008

Kayak Extravaganza: Part I


Since I was up until the wee hours of the morning, I must have forgotten picture Wednesday. Here it is.

Now to the kayaking extravaganza...the extended version.

After a few hours of research and a few days to ponder the best choice, I handed Chris a list of kayak rental shops and rivers to forge while in Massachusetts. Although it would be $32/day for each of us to rent the necessary equipment, my hubbie decided to bless me by taking me up on a crazy idea. I should preface this story with the fact that a few weekends ago, he experienced what he describes as a long, arduous-paddle-of-15 miles-on-flat-water-with-a-strong-head-wind trip. I also convinced our friend Erin of the joys to behold from a 9-mile rough river experience, to which she agreed whole-heartedly.

We headed to the Fin & Feather Sports shop in Upton, strapped our gear to the roof of one car, and sought our put-in location. After passing it twice and unloading everything we'd need for the journey, we took one car to the portage point and drove the other back to the beginning. The turtle picture indicates the glimpse of nature we took in while paddling down a flat canal, the first stretch of our trip.

After going about a mile, we had to portage over to the river (get out and carry our kayaks about 20 yds. across land). We pressed on in a "swimming" fashion until I decided it might be a good idea to put on my life jacket, due to the upcoming rough water and the looming dark clouds. We passed through like pros, but came upon a series of tributaries that challenged our navigational prowess. Erin finally figured out that we had to pass over A TREE to get going in the right direction, a task which she conquered first and then helped Chris and I.

Once through, we paddled around the bend to another sticking point. Erin was the first to break free, and as I looked back for Chris, then looked back at Erin, I saw her kayak filling with water as she caught under a tree. I don't know how she escaped, but in another three seconds she was no longer to be seen. I didn't want to experience the same fate, so I paddled with all of my might away from the tree; I didn't succeed and was caught under the same tree with my kayak filling with water at a rapid rate. I made a few quick decisions that went something like this:
1. If I don't get out, I'm going to get sucked under and probably cut my head open on a rock. I need to get out of my kayak.
2. My shoes are missing. If I try to walk on the rock bed I will probably cut my feet and be miserable. I think I'm supposed to float with the current.
3. This paddle is pulling me under. I'll give it to Chris as he goes by.

As I was being rushed away, I yelled with everything I had back to Chris, in hopes that he would escape the same tragedy as Erin and I. Did I mention that by this time, we were in the middle of a torrential downpour that included thunder and lightning?

To be continued...

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    It was such a fun weekend! Like Chris said, those are the kind of things we’ll remember forever. I think I am not a city girl at heart. I can’t wait till we can do it again!
    ehw