Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In Kuwait


By my best count, I think we arrived in Kuwait at 2:40am local time, Saturday. I guess that makes today Day 3? This has already turned out to be quite an adventure, starting with our luggage being lost, supposedly sent to Addis Ababa (spelling check, please). Thankfully, we received it yesterday afternoon, and now have more than two changes of clothes each.

Given the tough time getting here, we are loving everything so far. It's hot. And when I say hot, I mean it hurts to open your eyes sometimes because the air automatically dries them out. We aren't outside that much though, and everything here is air-conditioned, from the apartment, to taxis, to the supermarket. Yesterday I did a load of laundry (we have our own machines), and the dryer just didn't seem to be doing the job. So, I put the clothes over the rail on the balcony, waited for about 10 minutes, and presto! Completely dry.

We have a new friend, too. He's a recent graduate from Detroit and will teach English with us at the school. He lives just a few floors up from us, so the three of us went out to supper last night at a place called the Fish Market. There, you walk along a counter that has fresh fish, pick one out, and they cook it for you however you like. I can't even remember the names of the fish, but we had Thai noodles and saffron rice along with it- a very satisfying meal.

We've also made it to the supermarket. Our new favorite buy is flatbread, costing a mere 50fils per pack of five (that's about 20cents per pack). We also stocked up on known favorites like eggs, apples, hummus, rice, and onions, and picked a few new things to try. Something we really like is called Labneh, a yogurty/pungent spread that's like cream cheese. Something we don't care for too much is called Halawa, a sweet, sesame base spread that you are supposed to use on toast. I don't care for it at all, but Chris thinks that it tastes like a cross between fluffer nutter and peanut butter. I don't taste either.

At the school, we just took a basic tour of where everything is. The campus takes up an entire block, so I can count on getting lost once or twice when I have to navigate it on my own. We are about to go on a downtown adventure, though I'm not quite sure where yet. We'll see!

+Photo by creativesam

4 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Gotta love those airlines. :) It sounds like you guys are having a great time. Glad you already met someone who is teaching at your school! Miss you guys. Love the posts. (Destiny)

  2. MARCIE said...

    GLAD YOU GUYS ARE SAFE AND SOUND. NOW, SIT BACK, RELAX AND ENJOY!

  3. Stephanie said...

    Thanks, girls! We have met a few more people that are going to be teaching at our school, too. Go figure, they are all single men so far. Hopefully, I'll find a girl friend soon.

  4. Anonymous said...

    Crazy! I hope you find a girl friend soon. I'm sure you will once you start teaching at the school. Your living room in the apartment looks so cool!! What a view. :) (Destiny)