Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Great is His faithfulness

I am often tempted to complain when things take a long time. I don't like to be patient and I certainly don't like to wait for things. I don't like when it takes a long time for someone to call me back, when traffic is extra heavy on the commute to work, when I have to follow a coal truck for 30 miles, when I have to wait at the doctor's office even though I'm 15 minutes early, or when the checkout line at WAL*MART is more than three carts long.

In each of these instances though, my perspective comes from being focused on the wrong thing; when I want to complain or grow impatient, I'm focused on myself and my demands. I want to be God and move the world at my pace. How utterly wicked are our hearts!? I was convicted of this upon arriving at school today, when traffic was indeed moving slower than usual. Because today is the last day with students, I sat down to do some cleaning with the extra time I had. I began to sort my personal and professional email, in hopes of discarding many old messages, waiting to pat myself on the back for getting something done. God (in His kindness) led me to an email folder where I stored the early news about Ian's accident. Even before reading the first one, I was reminded of the Lord's patience with us and the great patience He must be giving to our friends, the Murphys. He has continued to heal Ian and supply his family with grace. Great is His faithfulness; I shall not complain.

From Wednesday, October 4, 2006


Yesterday the doctors said that Ian has 2-4 hours to live, but today he is still alive. His brain is still not responding. While we have this opportunity let's pray for Ian's healing. The word of the doctors is not the final word. God had commanded us and encouraged us to pray, because he intends to answer our prayers.

The Prayer of Faith
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. [2] 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth.

Our God is a God of last-minute (from our perspective, not his)deliverances. My sons Stephen and David reminded me yesterday that God stopped Abraham just as he was about to bring the knife down on his son Isaac; God delivered Israel by the Red Sea when it looked totally hopeless. Jesus raised Lazarus after he had already died. God delivered Peter from prison, using the prayers of the church. God delivers in impossible situations: Daniel in the lion's den,Shadrach,Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace. Jonah from a whale's stomach. Jesus healed multitudes who had no earthly hope of healing.

So while we have time, let us pray. Would you consider fasting today for Ian and his family and Larissa? Until we know differently, let us assume that it is God's will to heal Ian. Would you take some time right now and pray for Ian to be healed?

Thanks, Mark

www.prayforian.com

0 comments :