Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

So, for what things are you thankful? Do you celebrate Thanksgiving just because of the age-old Pilgrim and Native American story that you don't really know? Because your family does it every year? Because you just HAVE to have enough tryptophan-filled turkey to make you sleep through the football game? I would not only urge you to stop and give thanks for all of the good things that you've been given on the 27th, but to make a practice of reflecting and being thankful throughout the year.

This year we'll have our first Thanksgiving without our families; it's kind of a surreal experience to think that we won't be playing cards and enjoying each others company. On a surface level, we are still going to be doing the same things. On Saturday, we're going to a friend's house with lots of others to enjoy the traditional turkey all-you-can-eat feast. On Friday, I'm probably going to a Christmas party/shopping bizarre, and today when I got home from work, I started to download some Christmas music. I'm also downloading some George Strait, just for a taste of home, though Chris doesn't really know who that is. The only thing we are missing is a tree, but to haul in one of the cedars of Lebanon would be a bit expensive! They do sell fake trees at the Sultan Center...

A few things that I'm thankful for:
- the forgiveness of sin and knowledge of the Gospel
- my super husband, who continually puts me before himself
- my family, who has supported my wild ideas since Day #1
- my long-time friends, who are like my family
- a good church in Kuwait
- a good church in the U.S.
- growing friendships in Kuwait
- good health, shelter, and provision
- music
- my education and the ability to read
- the internet, which enables me to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving

0 comments :