Monday, September 15, 2008

There's nothing wrong with me


I'm sitting here in the most luxurious hospital lobby I've ever seen. Yep, you read correctly- a luxurious hospital lobby. And, trust me when I say I've seen a few. I'm sure my family would attest that they've seen far more with me than any parent wants to for broken bones, stitches, multiple hornet stings, and chronic influenza among other reasons. But, have no fear; there's nothing wrong with me this time.

The "Royale Hayat Hospital" just happens to be the only place within walking distance of our apartment building that has free internet. At least that's what we think. So, Chris and I have started to make visits where we can enjoy a relaxing, smoke-free atmosphere complete with waterfalls, mint tea, cozy furniture, and free internet. This is what I call surfing the web, so hopefully I'll get to catch up with some of you on a more frequent basis.

On another note, activities at the school have calmed down a bit. I believe I mentioned in a previous post that all of the teachers were scrambling to submit a syllabus and tentative year plan for each class. Although my schedule changed again today, I don't feel much pressure to complete everything. My principal has been extremely gracious (seeing as he's the one changing the schedules around), which helps. Currently, Chris is teaching four sections of English 8 and two sections of English 6, while I am teaching two English "7s," one English 8, and two World History classes for 10th grade. I was praying that what I teach would be exciting; God has a sense of humor.

Having been in Kuwait for over four weeks, we've had the chance to go on some good excursions. Two nights ago, we went to the Aqua Park with four others and had a blast. Although we went on a school night, we were catching the water slides and the lazy river until about 11p.m. Surprisingly, we were chilled once we got out of the water. The week before last, we went to an amazing local restaurant, where we were served traditional Kuwaiti food by traditionally dressed men. If there are two things to do in Kuwait, they are eating and shopping.

Chris and I are picking up some Arabic, which is rather easy to do conversationally. Reading it is an entirely different story. We plan to take some classes in the future, but for now we are making due with what we hear people saying around us and what the other teachers at school are telling us. Maybe by this coming summer we'll dazzle you all with our skills.

Convinced by several others, I am now creating a Facebook account. I can't believe I'm finally joining, but if you're on, make me your friend. Also, I decided that it would be easier to upload my photos through Picasa web albums, so I'll let you know when you can see them. For now, Happy Monday.

3 comments :

  1. Jen said...

    Facebook?

    How sweet of you to call me. I was assuming that since you did not leave a number, I couldn't call you back. Looking forward to hearing from you, all in good time.

    Love you!

  2. Anonymous said...

    Ah...yes...wonderful ER visits. Glad you are well this time.

  3. Stephanie said...

    Needless to say, I think I would not be blogging or making phone calls if I were admitted. If you hear from Chris, that's a different story!