Saturday, April 26, 2008

A new home

No, Chris and I are not moving into a new home (yet, anyway), but we have found a new home just outside of ours. During the winter and when it rains, we keep a tarp over the grill on our deck, for obvious reasons. No one likes a wet, rusty grill. With the onset of Spring and days with temperatures in the 70s, we were naturally inclined to cook outside because we enjoy grilling and sitting on the deck. Much to our surprise, we have not yet been able to do so because of the new home- a bird's nest- located IN our grill. To use an old cliche, hindsight is 20-20, and I had been noticing an influx of birds hanging out on our railing, as well as bird droppings on the porch. I guess I never thought that some bird family was flying in UNDER the tarp, and squeezing THROUGH the hole where the lid meets the bottom to build a warm, sheltered nest for their spring babies. What's a girl to do? Of course, Chris said it would make great kindling, but I don't think I can bring myself to destroy the nest. If I try to relocate it, will they find it? I don't even know if that's entirely possible due to how it's built. Help!

What I can't figure out is how they got the sticks underneath the grill tray...


2 comments :

  1. Jen said...

    Funny...and yet very tricky. I guess you guys won't be enjoyin' the grilled grub we are eating over here for a while!

  2. Anonymous said...

    I'd say that is tricky! I don't think I could move it. Especially if there are eggs. Poor little birds. Maybe you guys can just get a cheap charcoal girl from walmart tell the birds grow up and move away....
    ehw