Sunday, March 30, 2008

Waiting


How good are you at waiting?
Have you ever found yourself standing in line at the grocery store, tapping your foot or clicking your tongue in a fancy pass-the-time rhythm? How are you at waiting for answers to prayer? Do you bless God for ordering your days and the events of your life, or do you curse Him for not answering in the haste you would desire?

I guess I'm asking myself these questions because I have been known to strike a beat at cash register #21. It seems as though Chris and I have been waiting a long time for answers to various prayers. In particular, we have been seeking God about His long-term plans for us. It can be difficult at times to work and plan day after day with no real purpose in sight, but to glorify God in the way we work, serve, and live. And, I guess that's the focus or purpose in all that we do, we just aren't sure how to best do that- or where to best do that. We have a lot of questions that we ask ourselves and each other about these things, in addition to seeking advice from our friends who give us godly wisdom. (Thanks, friends.) It can be difficult to do as Paul instructs, and be content in all circumstances.

Here are a few of the answers I am seeking of God:
*My current teaching contract will be satisfied at the end of this school year; what am I to do once I'm finished? Where should I look for a job? Should I pursue what I'm qualified to do or simply find employment? Would it be good to seek another certification? Should I apply at XYZ school who is supposed to have an opening in the Fall?
*I applied for a critical language scholarship for the summer, which I believe God had led me to do. Why wasn't I accepted? Is there something else I am supposed to do this summer? Was it just a matter of faith in applying? Am I really trusting God with my life and future?

Mind you, I may never see any answers to any of these questions, so I must press on in the work that I can see cut out for me, asking God to give me strength to represent Jesus well. I must cling to the hope I have, and the promises that God gives me in His word.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit."
Jeremiah 17:7-8

0 comments :