Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A life


"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them."
Psalm 139:13-16 ESV
It seems to me there is a lot of talk about pro-choice and pro-life matters these days in the midst of the primary elections. It's difficult to hear anyone say that pro-choice is anything but pro-death, or pro-abortion, or pro-murder. That may sound a bit harsh, but reference what God says about a life and its value. God inspired David to pen these words, clearly remarking that as God fashioned him in his mother's womb, the years of his life were already planned by God before David was even conceived.
I find this an especially interesting topic as I am expecting a niece or nephew in the next few weeks. I have felt this baby rumble around in my sister's womb. I can clearly see a picture of him/her and observe the same features that newborns have. I can hear its heart beating and watch it move and suck its thumb through an ultrasound. Now, how can anyone say that it is not killing to take an unborn life?

0 comments :