Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Fear of man



Proverbs 29:25
"The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.

Daily, there are approximately 273 thoughts that run through my mind about what other people are thinking: Are these kids listening? What is their teacher thinking? Does my outfit look professional enough? Should I call so-and-so or will I seem a nuisance? How can I ask this question without sounding dumb or awkward? I hope they notice my attention to this detail...and the list continues. The problem with these thoughts is that they come from a sinful heart that is at times more concerned about what others think, rather than what God thinks. I can be tempted to fear other people, which hinders my service to God.

Trusting in God is the solution, but how do I get there? This can only come from active pursuit of His word, storing up His promises for us, and seeking to "put on" that which He tells us. It's also helpful to read what other godly folks have to say about the subject, such as Jerry Bridges in Trusting God or Edward Welch in When People are Big and God is Small.

0 comments :