Wednesday, January 25, 2012

an unusual week

I'm currently in the second day of my three-day vacation this week, which has been relaxing and eventful at the same time.

On the way home from work on Monday, excited about the 5-day weekend I was about to begin, Emily and I were hit by another car. Our scenario was not unlike many others in Kuwait, two foreigners in a small to medium-sized vehicle, generally obeying all traffic laws and courtesies of the road, when along comes a young Kuwaiti guy with a blackberry, an agenda, and a giant car. A Cadillac Escalade, to be precise. Here's some of the damage:

Driver's side rear (you can't see the loose things underneath...)
Driver's side front
Thankfully, neither of us are badly hurt, and we weren't hit again when the Escalade pushed us into other busy lanes of traffic.

We always get beautiful sunsets here, especially in the winter time. Often, the sun looks huge compared to what it looks like in most parts of the States, which is mystifying to me. Maybe one of you science types can explain that. You can't quite see the shape of the sun here, but this was a rare and gorgeous cloudy afternoon.


Yesterday, Chris and I drove down south to Mahboula to meet our friend Rasha for lunch. Afterward, we just drove around because we didn't have anywhere in particular to go. She suggested a little cafe to us, and we laughed when we found it, because we had never actually seen a "Nestle Toll House" cafe before. The coffee was good, and needless to say, the cookie was delicious. Generally, I'm not one for cookies, but who could resist? Besides Chris?


And, there were these cool, potted cacti outside. They looked a little out of place for Kuwait, but cute.

They just started publicity for the Parliamentary elections coming up here in Kuwait. In all of the neighborhoods, there are giant tents that come alive around 8pm at night, places for people to drink tea and "meet and greet" those running for seats. Sometimes I wonder why they have elections, because people always vote for family members or people from the same "clans." Since we don't vote, we westerners judge who has the best billboards with the nicest pictures. Here are a few samples:




This morning, I was walking outside when I spotted this guy in one of the car lots near our house. If I had a Ford Edsel, I don't think I would let it sit outside exposed to the elements, considering that they were only manufactured during a three or four year time period in the 1950s.



Well, those are my days off so far. We'll see what this evening and tomorrow bring!

2 comments :

  1. megan said...

    I imagine the escalade was not harmed in the accident..

    Glad you are okay!

  2. Stephanie said...

    Thanks, Megan! Um, no damage to the SUV if you don't count egos.