Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's really almost February?


This morning, Chris left to Yemen for a short stay, nearly completing his quest to visit all of the countries on the Arabian Peninsula. "While we're here, why not?" is a motto that I think I've heard more than once. After this trip, that leaves him Qatar (where we plan to go at the end of the month), Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia. That last one is going to be a bit tricky if we both go, so I'll post details if I go along. After Yemen, he will here for a few days and head off to Greece with our friend, Kyle, who is currently teaching at a school in northern Iraq.

Since I don't have the same vacation time and already took my jaunt to France, the guys are going to check out the "old rocks" (as I call ancient ruins) without me.

Tomorrow I begin the new semester with a new set of students. I will still be teaching three 11th Grade English classes, but because we have the same block schedule everyday at my school, the courses are completed in one semester instead of over a whole year. I'm going to miss the girls I had first semester like crazy, but I think I will like the classes coming up just as much. I also have plans in the works to do a photography club this semester, though I don't know all that much about it myself. I am hoping that by having to teach it and work with others, I will learn a lot and build my own skills. If nothing else, it will be fun!

Around Kuwait this weekend, one can see the signs of "Hala February," or "Welcome/Hello February." This is a great time of year because there are lots of store sales and festival-type celebrations. I don't know why exactly they have it, but I think it has something to do with the national holiday and liberation holiday being the 25th and 26th of the month. I will investigate further and provide details if I find any...

There are about five months until we return to the States for some summer fun, Lord willing and if we both live that long! I'm especially looking forward to it this time around, because I will have a new niece/nephew to cuddle in addition to the rambunctious 2 yr old family comedian. There should be a few new friend babies to hold, too, so I'm sure I will find lots to do with my time. Before we actually get there, Chris and I have decided to stop in Italy for two weeks, and perhaps a neighboring post-communist country or two. "While we're here, why not?"

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Exactly..."While we're here, why not?" I want to hear how he's making it to those last few countries. :-D Hope your classes go well this term! Let us know how they go! Do you have any of the same girls?

    Hope to see you soon. :)

  2. Stephanie said...

    Hey! Well, Bahrain and Qatar will be easy. Tonight, he comes home from Yemen. Saudia will be okay as long as we have our marriage license (which I have to find) and I go "hijra" (covered). I think. Of course, we can't go anywhere near Mecca or Medina because we're "Kafirs," a derrogatory word for non-Muslims.

    This time, I only have one student who is the same, because she has to repeat English. Ouch.