Friday, October 16, 2009

Canadian Thanksgiving


This past weekend, we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving with my friends from school. It's probably the biggest one that I've celebrated in a long time, but certainly not the "home-iest." We pitched in to order the bird, stuffing, and accompanying gravy from a local grocer, and then everyone signed up to bring a specialty. Though I wouldn't necessarily say buffalo chicken dip is my specialty, it certainly is easy to make and doesn't take long once everything is thrown in the crock-pot. (Special thanks to Erin W., who I think is the first person to bring this culinary masterpiece to my attention. Whenever I make it, I feel like I should be at your family's watching a Steeler game with the Holutas.)

I don't think that we'll go crazy for American Thanksgiving, as it falls around the same time as a Muslim holiday- vacation time for us. Chris and I are batting around the idea of going to Sri Lanka for four or five days, but that has yet to be officially decided. Once we decide, I will be sure to post the result.

Along the same lines of vacation, I am planning on going with one of my friends to Paris around Christmastime. Chris and I do not have the same vacations during that time of year, so I figured that I would spend five or six days somewhere that at least resembles the Christmas I know. White lights, cold weather, and people actually celebrating Jesus' birth are all things I'm looking forward to. A bonus is that I should be able to get back for the Christmas Day service at our church here, which we missed while in Egypt last year. Friends who have traveled there, I would appreciate your travel input and suggestions via email!

Enjoy the snow that's already fallen in our families' states of Massachusetts, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. There's still a high of 100 here.

0 comments :