Saturday, January 05, 2008

Be merciful; judge not.

"Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” (Luke 6:36-38)

As I write this morning, I have been reminded of the many times I was quick to judge others this week.
Example #1
I was standing at the Sunoco gas station just up the street yesterday, needing to give my car a little fuel. I started the pump, shoved my hands in my pockets, and buried my nose in my coat due to the bitter cold. All of a sudden, I hear someone in the car parked behind me beep his horn a few times. Though I ignored it for the moment, I became irritated thinking, "Who is this idiot?" The driver gave a few more beeps, so I turned around with a sneer only to find that it was my loving husband, who happened to be just getting home from work. Oops.
Example #2
I hadn't heard from a friend for awhile, and although I know she is busy with work and a family, I created this image in my mind that she disliked me and no longer thought I was worthy to be her friend (a bit exxagerative, don't you think?). These thoughts left unchecked allowed me to become bitter toward my friend and judge how she was spending her time, forgetting that I wasn't keeping in touch with her EITHER. I should have been trying to get the log out of my own eye, before turning to look at the speck she may have had. (Matthew 7)

God commands us to be merciful, to not judge nor condemn others, to forgive, and to give freely. When we don't follow these clear instructions, we take our eyes off of God and rob ourselves of joy. Because I was quick to judge (and not to look at myself), I could have had a funny conversation with my husband at the gas station. God had appointed him to arrive there at the same time to make me smile, not to provoke me to anger. Because I was quick to judge my friend, I was compelled to feel bitter and angry, and move toward selfishness rather than show care and concern for my friend. I could have perhaps helped her, and in doing so received blessings that God had in store for me.

"Be merciful even as your Father is merciful." Really, we have no place to judge others. It doesn't matter if they have sinned against us repeatedly or committed serious wrongs affecting our lives; Jesus calls us to be merciful. He has shown us the utmost mercy, in that while we were still sinners, while we hated Him and anything to do with Him, He died for us. Can you believe that? Sometimes, it's hard to grasp, but He surely did. He has given us mercy by sparing us from everlasting wrath and punishment for every single thing we have done wrong if we trust in Him. This compels me to want to show mercy to others.

0 comments :