Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sri Lanka Day #4, part 2 to the end


I think I was saying something about our train ride back to Colombo...

The train takes about 4 hours, and when we got back to the city, my husband graciously agreed to stay in a nice hotel for the last evening. I threw my backpack on the floor, grabbed my toothbrush, and headed for the only real hot shower I would have that week. Oh, Ramada, thank you again.

We headed out in search of a good local place to eat, only to end up walking for 5km and in about the same spot as our hotel. Fortunately, I read something about a weekend activity that takes place on the oceanfront lawn of a nearby hotel. When we came to the place, it was full of locals flying kites, fishing, eating food, and having fun with their families, so we searched for something good to eat. We picked out some tasty-looking samosas, and after a bit of haggling, sat down to enjoy them. Much to my surprise, I soon felt an intense burning sensation on my lips and throat, forgetting that Sri Lankan food can be spicy! In Kuwait, we are used to pretty bland samosas, filled with either cheese, ground meat, or vegetables, so I was expecting the same. This was the only time I ever really thought my face could be on fire.

After trying to douse "the fire," with lots of water and another type of snack, we went to a nearby pub and ordered some English fare. Of course, I decided to leave my camera at the hotel that day, so I don't have any pictures of this little adventure.

The next day we woke up really early in order to make our flight, something like 4:45am. We packed everything, checked out, hailed a took-took to the bus station, caught a bus to the airport station (which took forever, by the way), took ANOTHER bus from there to the actual airport (through security and what-not), and finally got there. I am one for allowing extra time when flying, while Chris is not so adamant. In fact, he likes minimize airport waiting time as much as possible, so on the last several trips, we have cut it quite close. On this very occasion, we made it just in time again, and were the last passengers of our flight to go through customs, security, and board. Is this a guy thing?

Needless to say, we made it back safely and taught a few weeks of school before my next trip. We are incredibly blessed that we're able to see so many parts of the world while living in Kuwait, mostly because we can cut out the exorbitant expense of flying across the Atlantic Ocean. Since we've been here, I think we've traveled to 9 or 10 different countries together and few others separately. We thank God that he provides for us, and that he allows us these opportunities.

0 comments :