Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Adventure #2


Our second endeavor in MA proved to be a less arduous task, as we decided to visit the local Charlton Orchards Farm & Winery on Sunday afternoon. This quaint, family-run farm is attractive to both locals and tourists due to availability of fresh produce and food products, as well as the award-winning wine and berry picking opportunities.

My initial misgivings about the choice we made (due to the abundance of goats, chickens, and children running amok) were quickly assuaged by the cleanliness and beautiful craftsmanship inside the winery. Here, we were able to sample some of the most popular picks, and even found a nice Merlot to bring home. At the farm store, we picked up a gallon of cider and a pint of blueberries, and made small talk with the farm owners. I found it satisfying to buy great products locally, and to be able to converse with a real "mom and pop" about their harvest.

When I was a kid, my brother, sister, and I would spend weekends and some afternoons at a friend's farm with my dad. From what I remember, we were always put to work by helping out on the hay wagons or working in the house. I also remember that we were often sidetracked from our work, due to chasing the dogs, riding the ATV, shooting pigeons in the barn, or trying to scare the cows. These are some of the best memories (and funniest videos) I have from my childhood.

If the opportunity presents itself, spending time on a farm would be a great family activity; it's not everyday that one can just gather the kiddos and head to the haystacks, but the work put into an afternoon gathering berries together is satisfying. Check out the local farms or farmers' markets in your area to plan a day of fun.

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    I haven't spent much time on farms (I am not very good with animals), but you make it sound like fun - well the riding atv's part, not the working part. I like hearing about your adventures. My daily adventures consist of spending the day at the beach with a 17 month year old - which I enjoy as well. Looking forward to hearing about the next one!
    ehw

  2. Stephanie said...

    Georgie is 17 months?? That's unbelievable. I hope the stickers are coming in handy at this point.

    This weekend we'll be "adventuring" together on a river, so I hope you are ready.